BXAPL - request for comments

Abe Kornelis abe at bixoft.nl
Sun Oct 27 13:12:33 UTC 2002

Larry,

thanks for the hint. I've read your license - it is appealing for being
short concise, and pretty clear - at least for a lawyer ;-)

However, it does not distinguish between software and programming
tools, nor does it distinguish between derived software and what we
have termed 'dependent software', which is termed in the LGPL
as 'software that uses the Software'.

In the rationale for the BXAPL we have named 8 requirements
that our license would need to fulfill. Since you tried offered your
OSL1.1 as an alternative, I'll go over them 1 by 1.

A) Programming tools and dependent software versus other software
     and derivatives. I have found no mention of this distinction in your
     OSL.

B) Copyrights of Modifications to be passed to Copyright Holder.
     Found no mention of such a requirement in the OSL.

C) Copyrights and Patent rights. Ok.

D) Disallow object-only distros. I assume section 3 of the OSL
     settles that.

E) Recognizability of modifications. Not mentioned in OSL.

F) Dual licensing. Section 4, right?

G) Applicable law. Ok, section 11.

H) Local langauages. Found no mention of such things.

A quick count that the OSL covers 50% of our requirements.
So, thanks again, but I will stick with my own license.

Kind Regards, Abe.