discuss: Duemetri Public License (DPL) Version 1.0

Mike Wattier geek at devcompany.com
Thu Nov 21 09:56:51 UTC 2002

Hi,

Excuse me if this is a silly question..

> The QPL uses the same tactic to control distribution of customized versions
> of Qt.  But this creates is a pain for developers and end-users alike.

The pain you speak of, is this from a purely "legal" stand point?
If so, in what manner does it hinder or "cause pain" to an end user?

The reason I ask is I am thinking of implementing something similar to this in
my soon to be released framework in the hopes that it will provide a higher
level of quality for the end users. As most programmers know, moduler
applications can become diluted over time with third party "plug-ins/addons",
some to the point where Module "A" by company x can not be used with Module
"B" by company z, and it's the end user who gets screwed.

I am not a lawyer, just a guy who writes a ton of code so please excuse my
ignorance on this point.

Thanks to all who contribute to the legal/license stuff, guys like me would be
lost without you :)

Have a great day!
Mike Wattier