discuss: Duemetri Public License (DPL) Version 1.0

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 21 07:50:06 UTC 2002

The QPL uses the same tactic to control distribution of customized versions
of Qt.  But this creates is a pain for developers and end-users alike.  At
least your term #8 provides an alternative, changing this "requirement" to
distribute patches into something that's optional.  But it's confusing the
way 7 and 8 seem to contradict one another.  As a licensee, I would be
scratching my head, unsure whether I was compliant or not.

Please consider dropping term 7, and simply leaving term 8.  Given the
choice, most developers would choose that option anyway, because
distributing patches creates extra burden for the end-user.

Even term 8 creates a difficult situation.  You have a license whose first
line says, "The software is called RAINBOW", and then says that for modified
works, "The software must not be called RAINBOW".

If I were you, I would check out the AFL 1.2.  That version might not have
been approved yet when you made your request.  Depending on what "business
requirement" points 7 and 8 of your license are meant to serve, you might
find that the AFL's Attribution Rights provision can be leveraged to deliver
the same business value in a different way.  Then you'd have a
professionally written license, you wouldn't have to go through a long drawn
out process to try to get your license approved, and you can get on with
writing your software.