Discuss: BSD Protection License

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 13:55:38 UTC 2002

At 14:04 13/03/2002 +0000, phil hunt wrote:
>I agree. The entire intent behind this license is to be
>deliberately incompatible with the most commonly used open
>source license.

   No, it isn't.  The intent is to ensure that a "free for both open and
closed source use" body of code can't be turned into a "free for open
source use only" body of code.  I mention "GPL-taint" because the GPL is
the most common example of an (from my point of view) overly restrictive
license.
   There is a tradition that once a project has adopted a given license
(eg, the BSD operating systems and the BSD license), further work is
incorporated under the same license.  This merely formalizes that.

Colin Percival