Executions for piracy

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri Jun 7 01:53:38 UTC 2002

My apologies for the off-topic post, but I could not resist sending you all
this about China...probably an error in transliteration?

"Despite years of lax enforcement, the government has begun to crack down on
stolen software, CDs and DVDs. The evidence too can be seen in the street. I
searched several alleys and stores for pirated discs and only turned up one
place that sold any. And the selection was poor: Despite a copy of "A
Beautiful Mind" ("Snowboarding through life, David Aames appears to lead
life," read the liner notes), they mostly sold stale Tom Cruise movies and
Celine Dion music. Many stores sold legitimate discs. "When we find (piracy
rings), we confiscate the products and the equipment they use to make them
and turn to execute the persons or organizations involved," said the
Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone's Jian."

The full article appears:
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-929747.html

- Rod

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org

My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the
following url: http://papers.ssrn.com/author=240132