discuss: Open Game Source License

Tig tigger at onemoremonkey.com
Fri Jul 19 21:27:25 UTC 2002

Thanks for the response John. Based on your feedback I have update the
OGSL. It is now even shorter. The URL's are the same.

Blank Template
http://lvl.sourceforge.net/txt/ogs/lvl-ogs-license.txt
Example
http://lvl.sourceforge.net/txt/ogs/tig_mouldy-src.txt

I do have one question. Most, if not all of the OSI licenses I have
looked at have 'Copyright' stamped on them somewhere. The OGSL does not
have this as I assumed (very possibly wrongly) that it was not needed.

The Artistic License was something that I got excited about when I first
saw it listed. After reading and re-reading over it I found it
excessive, very long and more complex than what is required for the
distribution and modification of game data files.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

-Tig

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:29:42 -0400 (EDT)
John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com> wrote:

> Tig scripsit:
>
> > Request for assistance and (hopefully) approval of the ..::LvL Open
> > Game Source License (OGSL). A sample of the license can be found at
> > the following URL's:
>
> The obvious problem is the requirement for no commercial distribution
> without permission (your b and e).  This is not Open Source: for
> example, it prevents OGL-licensed files from being placed onto CD-ROMs
> that are then sold.
>
> In addition, the term "public domain" is misused; you should say
> something like "publicly available for use and modification".
>
> I suggest you have a look at the Artistic License.

<snip>