discuss: Open Game Source License

Tig tigger at onemoremonkey.com
Sun Jul 14 00:06:57 UTC 2002

[ please discuss this license.  -russ ]

Request for assistance and (hopefully) approval of the ..::LvL Open Game
Source License (OGSL). A sample of the license can be found at the
following
URL's:

Blank Template
http://lvl.sourceforge.net/txt/ogs/lvl-ogs-license.txt

Example
http://lvl.sourceforge.net/txt/ogs/tig_mouldy-src.txt

The developers, producers and/or distributor of software games (like
Quake from id Software) often release the development tools and
applications that allow add-ons and modifications to be produced by the
public. The objectives of the OGSL is to recognise the original author
of the add-ons and modifications while allowing verbatim copies and
modified works to exist.

I feel the OGSL is similar to the BSD or MIT licenses. These licenses
are focused on 'software code' however. Game add-ons are not stand alone
applications (compiled or not). The source files for the add-ons require
a full version of the game and the development tools before they can be
of any use. Another difference is game files can be used across
different games, but would need to be formated correctly. There are more
differences too. There has been quite a bit of interest in the OGSL
already. There are 3 'map files' released under it and a number of
people have commented very positively about the license.

This is why I am asking for advice and assistance. I feel I have started
something (with good intentions) that people are wanting to use but I am
unsure about the correct wording or even if the license would cover the
people using it.

Thanks heaps for your time

-Tig

This license can be discussed on the 'license-discuss list' with my
identification