Squeak License OSD-compliance

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Feb 27 21:40:45 UTC 2002

Zooko <zooko at zooko.com> said:
>You appear to have misunderstood what <lichengtai at yahoo.com> said.  He expressed
>hope that Squeak could be GPL-compatible, not that it would be GPL-like!

I probably expressed myself bad and was thinking about lots of other things
that distracted me.

As far as basic GPL compatibility goes as in "combine with GPL'ed code and
redistribute", I don't see any problems with the current Squeak License.
However, I see problems in accepting GPL'ed code in the base distribution
because of the viral effects - that was what I was thinking of.

Personally, I like the political/philosophical ideas behind the GPL (I'm
more a free software than an open source advocate), but when I studied it
some 7 years ago in relation to Java, I felt that the whole issue around
linking was not really applicable to modern environments. Squeak goes a
bit further than that, smashing everything together in a single file,
and is even more problematic with the GPL because it is at the moment
not possible to separate GPL components out so that they don't 'infect'
the rest of the memory image.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>