OpenE License

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Feb 27 16:34:35 UTC 2002

Forrest J. Cavalier III writes:
 > > http://www.opene.org/osi/license.html
 > >
 > > The license is identical the Apache Software License except that copyright
 > > is assigned to the OpenE Group, which is an entity of Blevins Technologies,
 > > Inc.  In the event other sponsors show interest in supporting our project or
 > >

 > Using wdiff, the statement is accurate.
 >
 > The statement about portions developed by UIUC still appears.  Is
 > that the case with OpenE and should such statements really be part
 > of any license?
 >
 > The Copyright which appears is 2000, which doesn't make sense to me.
 > (I dislike seeing copyrights on licenses anyway.  It implies that
 > someone modifying the license needs approval...which means that OpenE
 > needs approval from Apache group....Did they get it?  Does OpenE
 > want to be bothered when someone wants to take the OpenE license
 > and modify it?)

This is a sticky wicket which we have not found a good answer to.  On
the one hand, licenses that name a copyright holder are not reusable.
On the other hand, it seems hypocritical for an organization that
promotes software reuse to NOT promote license reuse.  And as you
point out, the license does not give any permissions to create derived
works.

The OSD is silent on this issue, so we have no grounds for refusing to
approve a copyrighted license.

We're having a board meeting today, and I'll bring this issue up.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies