The Simple Permissive License, v0.1

Mahesh T Pai paivakil at yahoo.co.in
Mon Feb 11 17:17:54 UTC 2002

Dear list,

I am a lawyer, (in India), new to the Open source movement,
and my views are from the legal perspective.

The copyright licence accompanying any software, is much more than a
mere copyright licence - it constitutes a contract between the copyright
holder, and the end-user.  It should be appreciated that the law of
copyrights
was designed for things which could be re-produced by the owner of the
copyright alone - I am referring to books and you could not, and had no need
to change books for any purpose, at least, it was not profitable.
This is not the case with software.

It is copyrighted material, like book and music, and at the same time, it is
also a
"product" - in sense of law relating to consumer protection, which means, in
some
situations, the courts will regard software as corporeal things, much like
toothpaste,
clothing, television, etc. In such situations, the copyright holder will
have to guard
against the user invoking the "doctrine of detrimental reliance" (because
most Open
source software is distributed free of cost) in event of financial loss
resulting use of
software.  Hence, a provision excluding the liability of the copyright
holder is
absolutely - absolutely - necessary in the licence.

Secondly, the statutes governing copyright also provide for and recognise
the right of the
copyright holder and user to decide the terms and scope of the contract on
which the user
will use the copyrighted material.  This is why all "closed/restricted
source software" have
the :EULA - the End User Licence Agreement.  Obviously, for non-end users,
(like developers
of hardware, plugins, etc) there is a different kind of licence.  This dual
licensing is incompatible
with the OSS philosophy.  Hence, I strongly disagree with Mikko's views on
"implied" or default
in copyright law.

Every software licence should specifically define the scope and extent of a
user's right to (1) distribute,
(2) modify, (3) if 1 and 2 are permitted, distribute the modified version -
of software.

and Mikko Valimaki also wrote:-

> On the other hand, if the modified work is a completely different work,
then

How can modified work become completely different work?  Any work is either
original,
or derivative.  If you rely on work of any other person, however miniscule
your reliance may be,
you are bound to give due recognition to the original owner.

and David Johnson wrote,

> Without clauses like this, you could end up with very lengthy attribution
lists:

> Sections of this work derived from ..., ..., ..., ..., ..., ...
> Function fubar() used with permission from Fred, who requires me to say
that
> fubar is based on code by ..., ..., ..., ..., ..., ...

Precisely.  The price of not bothering to find out original ways of doing
things.