Need help picking a license.

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Wed Feb 6 13:04:44 UTC 2002

> I have some software that we developed.  I would like to release it as "Open
> Source".  I am happy to give it out without cost and would be happy to let
> others improve it.  The only thing requirement I got from the person who
> paid for its development was the need to track the users of the software.

Open source means that the license must permit obtaining your
code, modifying it to remove the registration parts, and then making
as many copies and redistributing it as much as they want without
ever contacting you.

The closest you can come is a download from your web site which
collects information.  So you will collect information from
those who got the software from you, but that may only be a
small fraction of the users of the software.

(I see you are writing from a .gov. If the development was 100% paid
using Federal funds, there are some people that believe a
FOIA request will require disclosure of the source.  I do not
know if they are correct.)

--
Forrest Cavalier, Mib Software
http://www.mibsoftware.com/librock/lidesc/