copyright discussion

sambc at nights.force9.co.uk sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 11:23:12 UTC 2001

>I don't pretend to fully understand your 'movement'. I konw the principle
>behind copytleft: it is a means to an end. But as I understand it, within
>your belief that everyone is free to copy software, there are restrictions on
>further use and a flat fee is payable. Am I misguided. You do not accept the
>principle of an absolutely free public domain.

My goodness!! I think here you are somewhat
mislead. The OSI (and the FSF, a seperate and
very different entity) fully support copyright
and the protections of an author's IP. People are
not free to copy software unless the copyright
holder says so. However, we promote the use of
software licenses which allow this, as well as
allowing modifications under various terms, and
the distribution of these modifications.

Note that when I say 'we' I refer to the public
involved in the movement. I do not represent the
OSI.

Public domain is a knotty legal point, varying
between jurisdictions. It is believed that in
some jurisdictions that one cannot surrender ones
rights into the public domain.

And I'm not sure where the flat fee came from.
Certainly when we talk about free software we use
it in the sense of the french "libre" - free
speech. Not as in the french "gratuit" - free
beer. People can charge money for free software,
but it tends not to do much good as one person
can always buy it and then redistribute as much
as they like. Consequently the only times free
software is often sold is in convenience packs,
prepackaged cd-roms, and the charge is small,
reflecting only the cost of the media and the
time to copy it, with a little profit.

No-one is completely free to copy all software.
It is the believe of some that operating software
(drivers, operating systems, etc) should always
be free & open, and that this would benefit the
world economy. Others disagree, all within the
movements of Open Source and Free Software

>I was not trying to insult you but was merely trying to provide some balance.
>Often in a frenzy against something, one's analysis can be self-serving
>rather than balanced. I was just shocked to see how one-sided the discussion
>seemed to be and thought an alternative may have been appreciated.

Well, although your reasoning was perhaps
misguided, I think the contribution was still
beneficial...

Sam Barnett-Cormack