Is inherited class a derivative work?

Michael Beck mbeck1 at compuserve.com
Wed Oct 24 09:53:46 UTC 2001

I would distinguish here between creating a derived class, and using a
particular implementation of the original class' interface at the run-time.

I would assume that you don't extend a class in a vacuum, i.e. that you take an
actual java.util.Properties class and extend it. If the author gives you the
right to create derived classes, then you are OK.

Now comes the "use" of particular class at the run-time. It would seem to me
that at this moment you can use any concrete class, as long as the author gives
you the right to create derived classes, i.e. if Kaffe, Chai, and J9 give you
the right to derive new classes, you can use anyone of them, even if you
originally created the inherited class from Kaffe's java.util.Properties.

Or you can (if possible in Java) compile a file with the original class you have
used, so the program doesn't have to look for it, but uses the one provided by
you.

Michael