Is inherited class a derivative work?

Chris Gray chris.gray at acunia.com
Mon Oct 22 10:05:52 UTC 2001

Michael Beck wrote:

> [...]

Every implementation of the Java language contains the non-abstract class
java.util.Properties, which does in fact implement all the methods of
Dictionary.
So let us suppose that I create a class com.acunia.AcuniaProperties which
extends java.util.Properties, and that this is packaged together with some
other classes in a .jar file.  I then hand this over to our sales force, who
are
liable to use it in a customer demonstration.  I have no way of knowing
whether
they will demonstrate it running on our own VM (Wonka), IBM's J9, Kaffe (as a

component of Pocket Linux), HP's Chai, something licensed from Sun's pJava,
or something I've never even heard of.  Can it really be that by creating my
little class I have actually changed the design blueprints of products from
four different companies, without even knowing it?

Regards

Chris Gray
VM Architect, ACUNIA