(was: idle-priority: OWL R1)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 6 23:53:49 UTC 2001

on Sun, May 06, 2001 at 05:49:11PM +0100, phil hunt (philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk) wrote:

> On Sun, 6 May 2001, mirabilos wrote:
> > The OWL just needs a line such as
> >  Copyright (c) blah... included herein by reference: OWL_rel1.ASC
> > And I ship the file(s) with it.
>
> This is normal practise; but the file with the license in it is usually
> called something like COPYING.
>
> And pseudo-legalses like "included herein by reference" could be
> better expressed like this:
>
>    Copyright (c) 2001 A.N.Other.
>    You may use this software under the terms of the
>    OWL license; see file COPYING for details.
>

> On the subject of copyright notices, my Phlib program[1] is licensed
> under the LGPL. I include this copyright notice in each file:
>
> #########################################################
> Copyright (c) 1994-2001 Philip Hunt
> Part of the Phlib library. You may use this program under
> the terms of the GNU LGPL; see file COPYING for details.
> #########################################################
>
> The LGPL recommends a much longer message, 16 lines in all, which
> IMO is rather cumbersome. Is there likely to be any problem with my
> shorter message?
>
> I have another open source program, Leafwa, which is written in PHP and
> uses a web interface. The front page of this program (as the user sees it
> in the web interface) includes a copyright notice and that it is licenced
> under the GPL (with a link to my local copy of the GPL), however there is
> no copyright notice in the actual PHP source files that make up the
> program, nor the static HTML pages that make up its help system -- is
> this a problem? Should I add relevant copyright notices?

I've just been through a similar situation with RMS.  The GPL need not
be incorporated into to the sources, however:

  - The program (in binary and/or source) must be distributed with the
    GPL.

  - Source code (including build scripts, etc.) must be available under
    one of the conditions of section 3.  Probably covered as your
    program is PHP and hence, interpreted.

IANAL, this is not legal advice.

Cheers.

--