(was: idle-priority: OWL R1)

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sun May 6 16:49:11 UTC 2001

On Sun, 6 May 2001, mirabilos wrote:
> The OWL just needs a line such as
>  Copyright (c) blah... included herein by reference: OWL_rel1.ASC
> And I ship the file(s) with it.

This is normal practise; but the file with the license in it is usually
called something like COPYING.

And pseudo-legalses like "included herein by reference" could be
better expressed like this:

   Copyright (c) 2001 A.N.Other.
   You may use this software under the terms of the
   OWL license; see file COPYING for details.

On the subject of copyright notices, my Phlib program[1] is licensed
under the LGPL. I include this copyright notice in each file:

Copyright (c) 1994-2001 Philip Hunt
Part of the Phlib library. You may use this program under
the terms of the GNU LGPL; see file COPYING for details.

The LGPL recommends a much longer message, 16 lines in all, which
IMO is rather cumbersome. Is there likely to be any problem with my
shorter message?

I have another open source program, Leafwa, which is written in PHP and
uses a web interface. The front page of this program (as the user sees it
in the web interface) includes a copyright notice and that it is licenced
under the GPL (with a link to my local copy of the GPL), however there is
no copyright notice in the actual PHP source files that make up the
program, nor the static HTML pages that make up its help system -- is
this a problem? Should I add relevant copyright notices?

[1] See http://www.vision25.demon.co.uk/oss/oss.html for details.

--
***** Phil Hunt *****
"An unforseen issue has arisen with your computer. Don't worry your silly