Subscription/Service Fees - OSD Intent

Randy Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Fri Mar 30 14:55:38 UTC 2001

Randy Kramer wrote:
> The approved Open Source licenses have been approved on the basis that
> we (the OSF or whatever) believe the terms of the approved licenses
> achieve the objectives stated above."

After a little more thought, maybe I'd want to rephrase the preceding
more like:

The approved Open Source licenses have been approved on the basis that
we (the OSF or whatever) believe the language of the approved licenses
is consistent with the objectives stated above."

It's probably irrelevant, because I don't see anyone jumping at the
chance to draft such a statement.  The reason for my change is to try to
make it clear that I (we) are worried about how the language might be
(mis) interpreted -- the hope is that the statement of intent is very
clear and concise, and if there is some legal gobbledygook in the
language of the license that could be interpreted in more than one way,
our intent is that it be interpreted in accordance with the clear,
concise statement of intent.

> IANAL, IANAL, IANAL

Randy Kramer