Subscription/Service Fees - OSD Intent

Randy Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Thu Mar 29 19:18:25 UTC 2001

Amen!!

And, if that is too much work, maybe (and I say maybe because I think
there may be some legal risks) someone could create a plain language
statement of the intent of open source.

By this, I mean something like:

"It is the intent of the open source licenses to promote blah blah blah
by:
-allowing software to be distributed at no charge
-preventing anyone from charging for open source software
-blah
-blah
-blah
The approved Open Source licenses have been approved on the basis that
we (the OSF or whatever) believe the terms of the approved licenses
achieve the objectives stated above."

(Maybe this is already done somewhere??)

I have occasionally heard that, in the legal profession, it is sometimes
considered an advantage to never change the language of a law or
agreement but allow the interpretation of the language to evolve.  I
don't know the reasons for this -- I may have been given some reasons
once, even by a lawyer -- IIRC, one viewpoint is that if the language is
not changed there may be a stronger case to say such and such agreement
is based on a long line of precedent which has never changed.

And maybe, if an amendment is made to an Open Source license to
explicitly prohibit charging for Open Source software, it opens the door
to an argument that licenses before the amendment allowed the charging
of fees.

But, if so, we can do better, can't we?

IANAL, IANAL, IANAL

Thanks,