license-mix, legal consequences?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 20 17:44:40 UTC 2001

begin John Cowan quotation:

> The U.S. Copyright Act, at least (section 106), speaks of "prepar[ing]
> derivative works based upon the copyrighted work" as one of the
> exclusive rights of authors.  So in theory at least you are not
> allowed even to translate your copy of _Foundation and Empire_ into
> Javanese, since that is preparing a derivative work.

Yes, but...

The specific example concerned software works reusing third-party GPLed
code with newer code under an incompatible licence.  The GPL's restrictions
in question apply upon distribution, and not before.  (Sorry I can't be
more specific, but I'm rushed, again.)

--
Cheers,            "Please return all dogmas to their orthodox positions."
Rick Moen                                 -- Brad Johnson, in r.a.sf.w.r-j
rick at linuxmafia.com