SUN Binary Code License

Steve Mallett steve at opensourcedirectory.com
Sun Jun 17 13:22:34 UTC 2001

Newbie-esque question here:

What the heck is a SUN Binary Code License?
I went to install StarOffice & when I got to the license agreement I froze.

>From the SUN site:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/5.2/faqs-general.html#36 :
###
"Many believe that other Sun open initiatives, such as the Java platform,
aren't really open, since Sun continues to control the intellectual property
and evolution of the technology. Isn't this just another example of Sun
disguising proprietary solutions as open technology?

Sun is changing the rules and taking office software into the dot-com age.
Significantly, Sun announced three initiatives:

We will offer the StarOffice 5.2 binary code for free download to anyone

We will publish the StarOffice 5.2 specifications

We will offer the StarOffice source code"
###
--
Steve Mallett | "Just Stable, Open-Source Apps."
steve at opensourcedirectory.com | http://www.OpenSourceDirectory.org

Member of OSDN's Community Sites: http://osdn.com/gallery.pl?type=community

Help Wanted: Auto-update your app at SF, FM and OSD! At once!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/trovesendtwo/