W3C license

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Aug 31 03:53:54 UTC 2001

Matthew C. Weigel writes:
 > Why is this license
 > (http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice-20000612) not listed on
 > the OSI list of approved licenses
 > (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/)?

Why isn't it listed?  Because it's not approved.
Why isn't it approved?  Because we got hideously backlogged.
Why did we get backlogged?  Because approving licenses is a lot of
    work, and we're all working on open source with just as much on
    our TODO lists as anybody else in the field, if not more.
So now what?  We changed the license submittal procedure to take some
    of the work off of our shoulders and put it on those of the people
    submitting licenses.  This has the beneficial effect of making it
    harder to create Yet Another open source license.
Hey, when did you do that?  25 April 2001.
Why didn't you tell me??  Because if you don't bother asking us how
    the license approval is going, you obviously don't care.  If you
    don't care, we don't care.

In other words, if you want it approved, and you've submitted it and
haven't heard from us, resubmit it.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | The most basic moral/ethical