GPLv2 'web-app loophole'

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Mon Aug 13 01:05:28 UTC 2001

Yes! The section you site does relate to the RAM issue, and judicial
interpretation has not altered that point. I agree with you that for the
most part the GPL is not relevant to section 117 (especially as to the
web-app issue) in as much as the right to copy is not restricted by the GNU
GPL. The one circumstance that comes to mind where the GPL might pose a
conflict with section 117 is related to our discussion of linking libraries
under the GPL.  As you can see, the restrictive GPL could present an ironic
conundrum for the open source user since the right it might limit would be
permissible under copyright law.

Rod