GPLv2 'web-app loophole'

Blake Cretney bcretney at postmark.net
Sun Aug 12 23:52:21 UTC 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001 18:15:26 +0100
"SamBC" <sambc at nights.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

Here is the section of the US copyright act, seemingly dealing with
this issue.

--
117.(a) MAKING AN ADDITIONAL COPY OR ADAPTATION BY OWNER OF COPY --
Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an

(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step
in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a
machine and that it is used in no other manner, or
--

I'm not a lawyer.  Judicial interpretation takes precedence over
legislated law, so this provision may no longer have any affect.  Note

Also, presumably, this doesn't apply if the software user doesn't own
the copy.  License agreements often claim this kind of thing.  The GPL
does not, though (seemingly).

---
Blake Cretney