Qt and the GPL

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Sep 6 04:29:39 UTC 2000

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, John Cowan wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, David Johnson wrote:
>
> > Okay, followup question. If a BSD application automatically converts to
> > the GPL by linking to a GPL library, can the application still be
> > distributed under the BSD license?
>
> The application without the library of course is distributable under
> its own BSD license.  The combined application can be distributed
> only under the GPL.

Okay, that's the way I understood it. However, is it really a
"combined" application? Am I allowed to distribute the application by
itself, or must I actually bundle the application and the library
together?

Does anyone have any examples of BSD applications linking to GPL
libraries in real life?

--
David Johnson