Qt and the GPL

Lou Grinzo lgrinzo at stny.rr.com
Tue Sep 5 11:39:34 UTC 2000

This latest exchange points out one of the most troubling aspects of
software licensing--even many of the people who care about such
issues and closely read the licenses can't always agree on exactly what
is and isn't allowed.

In this case, I think it would help everyone a great deal if the FSF added
a page to their web site that simply enumerated all the combinations of
ways to statically and dynamically link free and non-free software to
create free and non-free software, and then indicate whether the GPL
and LGPL allow or forbid it.  (A sentence or two of explanation might
also be a good idea, for some cases.)

Lou