Plan 9 license

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at oomentor.de
Mon Sep 4 16:24:45 UTC 2000

[rest deleted]

> I'm not familiar with EU copyright law, but can't the same thing be
> accomplished with contracts?  "I agree to allow Company X, and no one
> else, to distribute copies of my software; in return, Company X will pay
> me <amount>.  This agreement remains in force until the copyright
> expires."

Sure that can be done.
But the copyright remains by the author and is not transfered.
The contract is void if the Company X fails to refund or stops
refunding the copyright holder.

"Transfer" of "distribution" rights is either by explicit law or by
common interpretation of law not possible without refunding.
(Contracts can not break law in EU)

So a working contract in which you "aggree to transfer your
inventions and patent worth ideas or creations" to the employer
are only relevant in so far that yo will have to get an additional
refunding if your employer make use of that inventions.

It is not possible to say, you are payed for your work and everything
is mine. Well, companies do that. But they do not have a stand in
court :-)

THIS is totaly different in the US. If you invent something and have
a line like that in your contract, you are out of business.

Regards,
	Angelo

Angelo Schneider         OOAD/UML         Angelo.Schneider at oomentor.de
Putlitzstr. 24       Patterns/FrameWorks          Fon: +49 721 9812465
76137 Karlsruhe           C++/JAVA                Fax: +49 721 9812467