Plan 9 license

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Mon Sep 4 04:22:36 UTC 2000

On Sun, 03 Sep 2000, Mark Wells wrote:

> > IP rights are monopolistic, but so are ordinary property rights: if
> > I own land, I have the exclusive right to make what use of it I like
>
> They're monopolistic with respect to a specific object.  They're not
> monopolistic with respect to all objects of a certain type.  An oil
> company might own many oil wells and a large amount of oil, but it can't
> assert ownership over all oil everywhere.

But I can assert ownership over the specific software I have created,
but I have no say over the software created by others. I can certainly
assert ownership over my software, either using public/government
means such as copyright, or by private means such as a contracting out
copies of it.

References to peruse on this topic, from a libertarian/anarchist
perspective, see <http://www.freenation.org/fnf/a/f32h3.html>
(Intellectual Property Rights Viewed As Contracts) and
<http://www.digiweb.com/igeldard/LA/heritage/intelpro.htm> (Intellectual Property:
The Late Nineteenth Century Libertarian Debate).

--
David Johnson