Free documentation licenses

SamBC sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 11:21:21 UTC 2000

I have written such a license (IMHO) which is pending approval by OSI,
and has been 'ok'ed for use on Sourceforge (who generally require OSI
approval). It can be found at

http://www.simpleLinux.org/legal/sLODL.html

It's still not completely finished - I am waiting for feedback here
(possibly some more constructive than the usual 'why bothers' I have
received, asking why use a seperate doc license at all) before I
finalise it.

However, looking at your points, it may still be too restrictive for
you - but you may as well just use the GPL - the license you propose
isn't really a license as such, just a copyright with some brief,
clearly stated permissions and restrictions. I like the simpleLinux Open
Documnetation License (by me) as it ensures that not only is the
authorship never misrepresented, but also that content added later by a
person outside the controlling organisation is impossible to confuse
with original text. It also provides protection against
misrepresentation when people quote it.

I like it anyway - see what you think...

SamBC