"Open Source" Motif

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed May 17 02:25:34 UTC 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Justin Wells wrote:

> In particular, whereas the GPL discriminates against proprietary software
> UNLESS it is an operating system, the OML discriminates against proprietary
> software IF it is an operating system.
>
> I can't see how you can come up with a fair interpretation of the OSD that
> allows what the GPL does, but does not allow what the OML does.

To quote the old saw, I can't tell you what art is, but I know it when
I see it :-)

The more restrictions a license has, the less free and open it is. Not
being able to give my windows-using friend a copy of *my* own software
is pretty restrictive (relatively speaking).

But the GPL does not restrict on the basis of free or unfree software,
unless that software is a *module* of the GPLd work. It is completely
silent on non-derivative software. I would say that it's exceptions on
OS's and compilers are clarifications and not special dispensations.

But since you threw down the gauntlet, I'm pulling out my copy of the
OSD to see what's been violated with reference to operating systems:
"9) ... The license must not place restrictions on other software that
is distributed along with the licensed software...". Their license does
not allow Bill Gates to distribute OpenMotif along with Windows.

--
David Johnson...