"Open Source" Motif

Raul Miller moth at debian.org
Tue May 16 05:43:36 UTC 2000

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 10:37:29PM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> I think you step on to very dangerous ground when you call
> non-opensource development a "field of endeavour". Dangerous ground
> which might give way under the GPL, and prevent other things which we
> would like to allow.

I agree with the concept, but I'd phrase it differently:  in the context
of Debian's Free Software Guidelines or the Open Source definition,
viewing "non-opensource development" as a "field of endeavour" is
flat-out contradictory.

Basically, it's a meaningless distinction: like calling lying a shade
of truth.

--
Raul