"Open Source" Motif

Justin Wells jread at semiotek.com
Mon May 15 17:10:15 UTC 2000

>From the Open Motif license:

 >The rights granted under this license are limited solely to distribution
 >and sublicensing of the Contribution(s) on, with, or for operating systems
 >which are themselves Open Source programs

They need to add a definition of "operating system" so that we can tell
how much of a system needs to be covered by an "open source" license before
they will allow us to use their software with it.

If my operating system came with a few proprietary applications, say Linux
distributed together with WordPerfect, is WordPerfect considered a part of
the operating system because it was distributed on the same CD?

What if the proprietary program shipped with my OS was a replacement
"ls", or other "standard" program, does that make it a non open-source
operating system?

What if I have and use some proprietary libraries? Maybe I have a proprieatry
copy of Motif installed, and it came with my Linux distribution. Can I
still use open Motif? What if my application links in both?

How about some proprietary device drivers or kernel modules? Are they a
part of my operating system?

"Operating systesm" isn't clear enough.

Justin