"Open Source" Motif

Peter Makholm peter at makholm.net
Mon May 15 14:19:34 UTC 2000

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <jhm at cistron.nl> writes:

> Someone feel like getting them to change their license or their terminology?

Please read http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/faq.html

   QUESTION:

   Does the Open Group Public License for Motif meet the Open Source
   Guidelines?

   ANSWER:

   No. The Open Group Public License for Motif grants rights only to use
   the software on or with operating systems that are themselves Open
   Source programs. In restricting the applicability of the license to
   Open Source platforms this does not meet term 8 of the Open Software
   Definition (http://www.opensource.org/osd.html).

   QUESTION:

   Will Motif be made Open Source in the future?

   ANSWER:

   Yes, we hope to be able to make a distribution under a license
   complying with the Open Source guidelines sometime in the future. For
   now this is as close as to Open Source as we could get.

It seems to me that they are quite aware what they are doing and why
it isn't good enough.

--
Peter er ikke sur, han er sær -- og han er ikke DIKUs sureste koder,
men måske nok DIKUs særeste ;)