How To Break The GPL

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri Mar 3 19:30:56 UTC 2000

This is an interesting debate. Important copyright issues are implicated. I
think there are important distinctions between the HTML example and the
Windows OS. I think it is interesting how people quickly use MSFT in these
bad-boy hypotheticals, but rarely point how Sun Microsystems is actually
using their licenses for Java in the same manner. At any rate, I know of no
legal precedent that would support Microsoft (or any other OS developer)
"right" to "ban" use of the OS by third-party software developers. The only
cases where similar attempts have been made are in the area of game consoles
(e.g., Sega, Sony etc.) and courts have consistently refused to prohibit
third-party developers from free-riding. Fiar use is useually the defense
and such would apply to MSFT as well.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org