How To Break The GPL

Justin Wells jread at semiotek.com
Fri Mar 3 19:00:34 UTC 2000

RMS may be correct in this case. I am not a lawyer. The counter-argument
that MSFT could ban people from making Windows software doesn't fly.

They CAN ban you from creating derivitive works based on their copyrighted
material, they have every right to do that. By encouraging people to
create these derivatives they have effectively granted permission to
do so (implicitly, even if their license doesn't make it explicit).

It's similar to the implicity right you have to make copies of an HTML
file in the course of loading it into your browser, saving it on disk,
and other ordinary things that would happen when you typed in the URL
of some copyrighted material. By putting it on a website the copyright
owner is implicitly giving you the right to do that, even if it says
"All rights reserved" somewhere on the page.

MSFT would NOT be able to say "everyone but Netscape and Corel" in
their license, even without anti-trust laws they would get into legal
hotwater for that one. It's simply anti-competitive, illegal
discrimination. You can only discriminate on the basis of things
like "people who paid" or "people who also bought Windows", etc.,
and any company or person has the right to be one of those people
if they fit the criteria (by having paid, or bought windows, or
whatever).

That's my understanding, but again, I am not a lawyer.

Justin