Modifying existing licenses in minor ways

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Sun Dec 17 05:41:20 UTC 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Danese Cooper wrote:
> Second, I might agree with you about the role of OSI in certifying licenses
> which are essentially OEM'd from "approved" licenses...but OSI would
> disagree with you & me.  Sun was required to submit our version of the
> Mozilla Public License (our Sun Public License), even though the changes
> were well documented and not substantive.  I think you need to plan to
> submit your version (and the delta from our SISSL) to OSI, and hopefully
> they'll turn the request around quickly.

To be clear, it was the "and documentation" piece which mandated the
reapproval.  A change in naming is fine and doesn't require explicit OSI
approval, but anything that changes the substance of the license does.  It
would be nice if people named their licenses in a non-company-associating
way, and put definitions for proper nouns at the very top, abstracting all
this out.

	Brian