Directory for open-source software

Steve Mallett steve at opensourcedirectory.com
Sat Dec 9 16:30:04 UTC 2000

Hello all,

I know this list is for discussion of licenses, but with some work the subject
of this email (my site) may help eliminate some unecessary traffic on this
list.  For instance, questions like "Is such & such open-source??"

I'd like to ask for the list member's thoughts on my website concept:
Open-Source Directory (OSD).

Over the last three months I've created a website whose mission is to
provide a resource for endusers and developers to verify that a package,
consisting of software together with its accompanying license is an
open-source distribution.

It is/will be a directory of stable open-source software that will list
product's meta-data based on ESR's Trove specs for such data.  For instance, its
**license**, authors, history of changes, binary/source download address, bug
reporting contacts, dependencies etc..

We're at www.opensourcedirectory.org   We are still testing, but are
near to doing some announcements. We look a lot like Sourceforge since we use
their GPL'd code.  Their software map has a basis with the Trove specs. To what
degree I'm not a party to.

Getting into the long story....I started this after emailing ESR to see if a
directory of open-source software was of use.  He said yes and so here I am
...with some of his helpful input.  (Any screw-ups are totally mine.)

I have had some discussions over the last few months with some folks in the
community, but let's just say that SourceForge has listed OSD on their page of
folks who use SF code.  After some explantion of OSD's scope & function
(non-developement) everything got smoothed out.  Also I had some discussion
regarding OSD vs. Freshmeat & LinuxApps.  That person came to
agree that we were not redundant since both of these entities focus on Linux
where OSD is indifferent to what platform the pkgs are written for.  So far
these are the two major off-hand comments we've had to clear up.

Now, we're not totally done. However; we are ready to do the actual job of
listing product meta-data.  Before trying to attract developers of stable
products to list, and while putting on the finishing touches, I'd greatly
appreciate any comments, questions, concerns, assistance..anything from members
of this list.

Thank you in advance,
Steve Mallett,
http://www.OpenSourceDirectory.org