License Approval Process

Brice, Richard BriceR at WSDOT.WA.GOV
Wed Aug 9 14:12:31 UTC 2000

I've seen may requests for OSI license certification over the past year. I
would be helpful if you could publish a list of licenses pending review, and
their priority, so those of us that have submitted a license can know where
it is in the process.

Richard Brice
WSDOT
	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Lawrence E. Rosen [SMTP:lrosen at rosenlaw.com]
	Sent:	Tuesday, August 08, 2000 6:10 PM
	To:	license-discuss at opensource.org
	Subject:	License Approval Process

	To the Open Source community:

	The board of directors of OSI, which has responsibility to approve
licenses,
	is composed of volunteers.  They are doing their best to catch up
with the
	backlog of submitted licenses.  Given their other activities, this
is taking
	more time than we'd like.  I hope you can all be patient.

	As OSI's new executive director, I am taking seriously the job of
processing
	license review requests in a timely manner.  At last month's board
meeting,
	six licenses were discussed and two approved (the CNRI license
submitted by
	Python and the Apache license submitted by the Apache Software
Foundation).
	The board has scheduled a meeting later this month to review
licenses, and
	they plan to meet on a regular basis in coming months to try to work
their
	way through the backlog of submitted licenses.

	The community can help by considering carefully whether a new
license is
	really needed.  There are several very good licenses already
approved.  Will
	"yet another" license help?  Make sure you clearly explain your
objectives
	for creating your new license when you submit it for approval, so
that the
	OSI board can prioritize appropriately.

	We're also trying to improve our procedures so that we can update
our web
	site more frequently as new licenses are submitted for review and
then
	either approved or disapproved.  If any of you know of someone in
the
	California Bay Area who'd like to be OSI's webmaster, please let me
know.

	OSI always welcomes suggestions for improvement.  Please feel free
	contact me, or you may write directly to members of the board of
directors.

	/Larry Rosen
	Executive Director, OSI
	650-366-3457