The different between GPL and non-license

kmself at ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 7 17:09:15 UTC 2000

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 12:37:29PM +0700, Kristiono Setyadi wrote:
> I want to ask about the different between GPL with non-license.
> I think that GPL and non-license is the same.
> Both of them are distribute to anyone.
> Is my opinion true or false?
> Thank you.

If you mean the distinction between the GNU GPL and public domain, no
they aren't the same.

Any license in which copyright is retained reserves rights to the
author.  Placing a work in the public domain releases virtually all
rights of authorship (excepting possibly "moral rights" depending on
jurisdiction).

The GPL allows broad lattitude in use of code, but imposes restrictions.
There are few if any restrictions on use of public domain works.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself