The word that is "Proprietary"

income at ihug.co.nz income at ihug.co.nz
Fri Apr 21 01:15:30 UTC 2000

'proprietary software' in the history of the vernacular is underpinning software that users expanded into and over which they
had no control of the development platform. When I make my WinGrid source code available it is because I don't wish anyone to
find themselves in a box canyon, as I did with Wang. I also do it because of the pleasure I know that comes from programming and
this I wish to share unselfishly in order to guarantee a likely succession of developers.

But what happens when there are no takers because of a glut of freeware. For example, I don't know of any programmer who is
studying my source code and no one has ever made any contribution. Sure I've lifted other's free source snippets and
acknowledged modifications but no one has put any problem solving my way. Maybe after word gets around that I'm no longer around
someone will contribute. But if nobody ever does contribute what does that say for the status of the WinGrid  Free Public
License. Can it mean that the WFPL aspect of the property be withdrawn from the public so that the project will only stay free
if the license can be shown to have been upheld by a sublicensee.