Concurrent Licenses?

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Thu Apr 13 03:44:01 UTC 2000

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. scripsit:

> I have no expertise on UK law so I will accept your interpretation. In the
> US, copyright holders retain the EXCLUSIVE right to control reproductions,
> performances, displays, distribution AND the creation of derivative works.

I think the point being discussed is: Who has the right to control
the reporductions, performances, displays and distribution OF
derivative works that are made under license from the original creator:
the original creator (A), or the creator of the derivative work (B)?
In particular, if B has any rights as against the world, does he
also have rights against A?

If I write a novel, and you make it into a film under license from
me, I can't make copies of the film without a cross-license from you, no?
If the film;s copyright is infringed, only you can sue, no?

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin