Accusations, accusations, always accusations

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sun Oct 24 18:49:55 UTC 1999

Quoting Pete Schaeffer:
> Of course he'll point out that, yes, we can call things whatever
> we want; that we can be wayward children and call Linux Linux if
> we're so perverse; that he's only trying to show us the Light of
> Truth and the error of our ways; that until we turn, he will
> dilligently keep correcting us; ; that he's bound to fight our
> heterodoxy and convert us infidels; but that he still, always,
> forever wants us to stay free.  Nice of him.

        Don't MAKE me quote Voltaire on you, boy!

> Richard is an ace, prime, bone-deep fundamentalist.  This is a
> comment not on his character, but his actions (fundamentalism is
> about what you do, not what you believe).  It's all about
> doctrine with him, not ideas; about adherence rather than
> understanding; about quieting, rather than convincing, his
> correspondent.  If it's good to free source, it's wrong to limit
> discourse; but Richard doesn't discuss, he asserts.  He doesn't
> respond, he restates.  There's no conversation with him.

        Pete is engaging in ace, prime, bone-deep name calling.  Not
content with arguing a point on its own merit, he takes the stance
"Whether or not your point has merit, YOU ARE AN IDEOLOGUE!" and wants
to declare the debate over.

        With respect, I'd like to see the end of this conversation, as
it's not accomplishing anything (certainly not license review).

--
((lambda (x) (list x (list (quote quote) x)))
(quote (lambda (x) (list x (list (quote quote) x)))))