GNU License for Hardware

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at xcc.de
Fri Oct 22 16:27:27 UTC 1999

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Sorry, Richard, thats wrong. The war is called seccesion war.
>
>     I though you where an american and you knew that, are you not?
>
> I am an American, and I have read extensively about the Civil War.  It
> was caused by the dispute over slavery, not by economic factors.
> Slavery was the reason for secession, and disgust for slavery
> motivated the Union troops.  It wasn't for nothing that they sang
> about John Brown while marching to war.

AS far as I know, but that my be wrong:
The seperation came first,
then came the war,
and while the war seemd to get expensive and would last longer than
the north expected, Lincoln finaly mobilized the masses because of
"slavery".

> For a long time, Southerners have made a great effort to deny this.
> You may have read their propaganda.  Or you may have seen something

Nope. I did not read something about that.
Specific events in history are normaly tought/examined by the pupils for
3 to 6 month, so also the civil/seperation war in the US.

We considered everything which we thought could have an influence.

> influenced indirectly by the Marxist idea that history is determined
> mainly by economics.  It is useful to look for economic factors in
> history, but they are not the only ones.

I'm shure that history is mainly determined by economics.
Even if the economics behind it are often not obvious.
Further I'm shure that the victory writes the history.

W II was started from the german side merly because of economic reasons.
Fachism was only needed to GUIDE the people.

Angelo