GNU License for Hardware

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Mon Oct 18 14:22:25 UTC 1999

Ben_Tilly at trepp.com scripsit:

> For example the US Civil war was not fought
> over abolishing slavery, it was fought over whether states had the
> right to leave the Union.  Yet after years of fighting Lincoln proclaimed
> that under Union law, all slaves in the Confederacy were free.  This was
> a completely symbolic gesture given that the Union was doing very
> badly and looked to have little prospect of winning.

Yes, but!  The Emancipation Proclamation pretty much assured that
Britain, which had abolished slavery years before, wouldn't recognize
the Confederacy as a separate nation.  By seizing the moral high ground,
the Union ensured that Britain, the most powerful nation in the world
at the time, would not become its opponent --- and then it was just
a matter of time until the Confederacy was defeated.

Despite Napoleon's cynical question about how many legions the Pope has,
moral pressure can have amazing practical results.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin