[openip] Re: GNU License for Hardware

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at xcc.de
Sun Oct 17 22:24:31 UTC 1999

Hi,

please RMS, if you quote me and you draw conclusions, please
quote everything, than its easyer to correlate what I said and ment
in relation what you quoted.

Propably, (you remember 'free' verus 'for free/free beer') you are
not aware that many people on that lists are not native english speakers
as e.g. I.

Ok pleaese see below.

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     It forces you to release all your stuff which is in someway combined
>     with the GNU stuff as GPL, too.
>
>     Most people prefer 'free' software where the author states: "you can do
>     what
>     ever you want provided you leave this notice intact".
>
>     In fact I prefer a community source licence, which enforces everyone,
>     who is earning money with my stuff, to fund me and allows every one, who
>     simply want to use it for non commercial purpose, to use it 'for free'.
>
> Please tell me if I understand you properly.  Here is what
> you seem to be saying.

Ok, to make it easy: no, you did not understand me properly.

> * You want to make your software non-free, with a license like Sun's
>   non-free license.  (That would mean we have to reject it.)

My softwae will be as free as yours but more free in one aspekt and less
free
in one other aspect:

a) you can get the source (thats what I consider free, the rest realy
does not interest me)
b) you can get it for free if you don't release your derived software
build on
my work for money/if you are not payed for your software [less free]
c) you are not forced to make your derived work 'free' [more free]

> * You want US to release OUR software in a different way.

NO.

>   You want us to use non-copyleft lax licenses
>   which let you use our code in your non-free software.

Please see below: but yes I would like to use some stuff from your stuff
in a comemrcial 'product' payed per copy without to be forced to release
it imedialtly as open code and free code.

> * But you have no intention of letting us use your code
>   in our free software packages.

Sorry, thats my point why I would like to be quoted in total.
>From where did you draw that conclusion?
You are a free human and everybody on this list is a free human(alien?)
so why should I want YOU (capitalising your US) to change anything?
Where did you get the point that I do not let you use my stuff?
I simply would sombody, who uses my stuff, let think about that:
do you save money/effort in using it? Do you earn money in using it?
If yes why don't you think that it is fair to chare one percent of it
with
me?

> It seems you want a system where you impose restrictions on everyone
> else, for your profit, while the rest of us bend over backwards to

Very strange conclusion....

> cater to you.  Surely you must be aware that that is quite
> asymmetrical.
>
> I use the GPL to insist that we have a fair relationship, at least as

Thats what I wanted to point out: the GPL does not let me use the
software
under the conditions I like, and I think that are many people out there
with the same feeling. Thats all, and thats not an offence.

> regards use of my code.  If you want to use my code, you have to let
> me use yours.  Fair is fair.

That will I do ... But not under the GPL :-) If you want to use my code
you will have to accept my open source licence, as far as I know the GNU
project, this would ever be enough, but you seem very ideologic on that,
so I'm afraid you will never use code from me :-(

>     I have not the finacial background to work years for free an than giving
>     away my software for free.
>
> (Free software does not mean you have to "give it away for free".
> Free software is a matter of freedom, not price.)

I know that. But how can I apply the GPL to release my software to be
payed on an per copy base?

> You're saying you cannot write free software because you are not rich.
>
> When I started the GNU Project, I was not rich.
> Most people who work on free software are not rich.
> If you don't know this is possible, ask some people and find out.

Asking this does not help. You need a teacher and an advisor or a
mentor.

> If you really wish to write free software, try to find a way,

I want to write open source software. I want everybody who has a
finacial
benefit in using my software to contribute (to my organisation).

It's just like using a road, sombody builds it, and everybody who uses
it
pays for it. Why not having the same in software?

I prefer to get simply rich :-) and spending my money in doing good
things
with that. But as I tried to express: the GPL forces me to forget the
simple
"I write a tool and you as a smith use it and you pay back in some
respect what you save in using my tool" schema.

If I dont have to work for money at all, I will still have projects in
my
mind which are quite to huge to be done during my livetime.

I want to finance them, so I have to get rich first, quite easy.

> and maybe you will succeed.  Even if you don't succeed completely,
> you may succeed partly.  If you live cheaply, as I did and still do,
> you ought to be able to make a living by working half-time or less

As a Programmer not, as a Consultant yes.

> as a programmer.  Even if that job involves making proprietary software,
> you could still write free software the other half of your time.
> Doing good for society with half of your work is better than doing
> no good at all.

You forgott one thing: some percentage of the guys on theese lists are
europeans: a great majority of us did their civilian service for 15/18
or 24
month.

Paying/contributing to society is something everybody does in our world

Regards,
	Angelo