[openip] Re: GNU License for Hardware

Bernard Lang Bernard.Lang at inria.fr
Thu Oct 14 22:55:35 UTC 1999

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 07:43:14PM +0200, Angelo Schneider wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Richard Stallman wrote:
> >
> >     I am looking for a GPL-like license, but it is intended for
> >     collections of data resources, for the time being linguistic resources:
> >       corpora, dictionnaries (as used by machines, not people), grammars
> >
> > I see no reason why the GPL could not be used.
>

> to make it simple:
>
> The GPL is one of the licences which gives you actually the least
> freedom
> you can get from a free/open software.
>
> It forces you to release all your stuff which is in someway combined
> with the GNU stuff as GPL, too.

do not waste your breath, or fingers... discussion obsolete

I was obviously asking for technical details.

There are few people whose judgement I trust ... Richard is one of them.

> Most people prefer 'free' software where the author states: "you can
> do what ever you want provided you leave this notice intact".

No !

--
Bernard.Lang at inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963 5644
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX