Draft 1 of the OpenDesk.com Public Source License

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Fri Nov 19 07:28:15 UTC 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Andrew J Bromage wrote:

> Hmmm... I suspect that there are more "external" people working on, say,
> Mozilla than there are working on, say, GCC.  That's just a guess, mind
> you.  Plus, there seems to be more development interest in XFree86 than
> there is in Emacs.
>
> I don't think the licence has as much to do with it as you think,
> compared with how sexy the project is and how badly the community wants
> the software/changes.

I would hazard a guess that it depends on the developer. Projects usually have
a very small core of main developers. They would be the most interested in the
license used. But I think that most contributions after a certain point are bug
fixes, trivial features, and other stuff of only a few lines of code. These
developers probably aren't concerned that their code gets rolled over into a
proprietary project.

After all, to take it to an extreme, if a developer really thinks that Microsoft
is going to "steal" his two-line dangling pointer bug fix, he's not living in
reality.

--
Arandir...