License certification request

mark at hiq.pc-intouch.com mark at hiq.pc-intouch.com
Wed Jul 7 09:22:09 UTC 1999

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Kevin Kelm wrote:

> The license we're hoping to use is essentially like the Apache license--
> it's very open-ended and presents very few restrictions other than
> the inclusion of our license itself and such.

It looks almost identical to the BSD license.

> ------------------------------license-------------------------------------------
>
> /* =======================================================================
>  * Copyright (c) 1998-1999 Boulder Software Foundry.  All rights reserved.
>  * Trademark rights claimed in "Boulder Software Foundry" and "Flashpoint
>  * Application Server".
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  *
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  *
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
>  *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
>  *    distribution.
>  *
>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
>  *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by the Boulder Software Foundry
>  *    for the Flashpoint Application Server project
>  *    (http://www.BoulderSoftware.com/)."

If I understand this correctly, it's essentially identical to the BSD
license's advertising clause.  (Actually...browse browse browse...it's
taken verbatim from the BSD license's advertising clause.)

This is widely considered one of the more annoying features of the BSD
license (see, for example, http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html)
precisely because developers other than UC Berkeley who use the
BSD license typically substitute their own names for "University of
California" in the original. Strictly speaking, this means that any
product that uses software developed under the BSD license must list, in
all its advertising materials, the mandatory acknowledgments for all
BSD-licensed components.  If I'm using BSD-licensed components from ten
different sources, I have to include ten different acknowledgments.

I'd suggest just removing the advertising clause entirely.  Parts 1 and 6
require the acknowledgment to appear on the actual product anyway.

>  * 4. The names "Flashpoint Application Server Technology" and "Boulder
>  *    Software Foundry" must not be used to  endorse or promote products
>  *    derived from this software without prior written permission. For
>  *    written permission, please contact prodmgr at BoulderSoftware.com.

As Mr. Perens said, this should specifically exclude the use required by
the advertising clause, if you insist on including the advertising clause
at all.

>  * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Flashpoint"
>  *    nor may "Flashpoint" appear in their names.

A "prior written permission" exception here might also be prudent, though
I don't know if it's necessary.