License certification request

bruce at perens.com bruce at perens.com
Tue Jul 6 17:14:08 UTC 1999

You could reduce this to the BSD license, an added attribution sentence,
and a separate trademark statement, and thus save us from the evils of
"license proliferation" - one more license in the world for programmers
to figure out, one more license that is not compatible with other pre-existing
licenses. Since the BSD license is already "certified", if you used the
straight BSD you'd be able to claim certification right away. Please consider
that.

	Thanks

	Bruce

From: Kevin Kelm <kevink at xvt.com>
> /* =======================================================================
>  * Copyright (c) 1998-1999 Boulder Software Foundry.  All rights reserved.
>  * Trademark rights claimed in "Boulder Software Foundry" and "Flashpoint
>  * Application Server".
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  *
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  *
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
>  *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
>  *    distribution.
>  *
>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
>  *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by the Boulder Software Foundry
>  *    for the Flashpoint Application Server project
>  *    (http://www.BoulderSoftware.com/)."
>  *
>  * 4. The names "Flashpoint Application Server Technology" and "Boulder
>  *    Software Foundry" must not be used to  endorse or promote products
>  *    derived from this software without prior written permission. For
>  *    written permission, please contact prodmgr at BoulderSoftware.com.

Paragraph 4 should exclude the use required in paragraph 3 as something
requiring prior written permission.

>  * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Flashpoint"
>  *    nor may "Flashpoint" appear in their names.
>  *
>  * 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
>  *    acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by the Boulder Software
>  *    Foundry for the Flashpoint Application Server project
>  *    (http://www.BoulderSoftware.com/)."

Is this redundant with paragraph 1? Paragraph 1 requires that the license and
copyright statement be included. If the license and copyright statement contain
the acknowledgement sentence above, paragraph 6 is redundant - unless you want
us to put the attribution somewhere else.