[CAVO] Congrats... now get to work ;-)

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Thu Dec 20 14:56:19 UTC 2018

Hi Sean,

I just heard the great news of your hire with San Francisco City/County
to lead the development of their open source voting system,
congratulations! Does Deb know? Hopefully you two can use some of your
upcoming experience to help re-ignite / build on the Public Policy work
you two were working on. SO happy you're the hire, it really shows SF
is taking open source and open source voting seriously!

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the OSI has been involved a bit in
awareness efforts (promoting news, connecting communities, blog posts,
etc.), and offering advice--wanted or not--with not only with SF's
efforts, but Los Angeles' as well.

I'm coping a few of the folks we've been working with, many of whom I
expect you may already know, but I think they could be a resource for
you.

1. CAVO is an OSI Affiliate Member and very active in open source
voting (they also sparked a national effort, NAVO). Lots of good
discussions there.
2. Brent Turner is CAVO president, and very active in California open
source voting / elections systems.
3. Chris Jerdonek is a member of the San Francisco Elections
Commission.
4. Tony Wasserman is a former OSI Board Director and serving on SF's
open source elections advisory board.
5. Aaron Nevarez is Division Manager of Governmental & Legislative
Affairs with LA County.
6. Kenneth Bennett is the Program Manager for LA's Voting Solutions for
All People.

That's a lot of people and connections, but I'm just trying to live up
to the OSI mission, "to educate about and advocate for the benefits of
open source and to build bridges among different constituencies in the
open source community."

Let me know if I or the OSI can help in any way and again,
congratulations... now get to work!
All the best,
Patrick

--
  ||  |   | || |  ||  ||  | || |  |||  |  |||

Patrick Masson
General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398