[CAVO] After election, DHS will work with voting machine vendors on cybersecurity

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Nov 5 16:51:58 UTC 2016

Brent Turner wrote:

> Hopefully national security interests will be considered paramount to the corporate interests

I just learned of a change to DMCA regulations from the Copyright Office specifically intended to satisfy national security interests. It will now be legal to investigate and decompile proprietary voting software despite it being protected by DMCA encryption or other features.

While this is not the same as open source software, it does give us a mechanism to find faults in proprietary voting systems.

NOTE: Avoiding DMCA protections isn't automatic. Be sure to follow appropriate procedures to request the code before you decompile.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482